Like the ghost tales of the Carolina Lowcountry, Grey Ghost Bakery’s legendary recipes have been passed through our family for generations. We’re a small family-owned baking company based in South Carolina and we use the highest quality all natural ingredients to create our made-from-scratch, hand-formed cookies in a range of truly addictive flavors.
Pawleys Island, SC legend has it that the Grey Ghost, a friendly spirit, appears to alert residents of impending storms and protects those who heed his warning. Inspired by her lazy summer days spent baking and sharing Lowcountry lore with friends and family on the porch of her Pawleys Island beach house, owner Katherine Frankstone named the company for the beloved legend.
When Katherine Frankstone was the tender age of five, all she wanted was an Easy Bake oven, but her parents steered her from the toy shop back home to the warmth of their family’s kitchen where she climbed a stool alongside her father and learned to bake in the real thing. For decades, she has been satisfying the sweet teeth of her husband, sons, and flocks of friends with her perfectly balanced crisp yet chewy cookies.
Coming from a family of driven entrepreneurs – her grandparents founded an insurance company in the middle of the Great Depression – Katherine was inspired to transform her hobby into her own specialty food company. With Grey Ghost Bakery, Katherine is serving up a taste of her childhood with a good old‐fashioned dose of Lowcountry ghost lore.
Believing the real thing is the best thing, Grey Ghost Bakery's fresh, all-natural ingredients include: unbleached, unbromated flour, European-style butter, pure cane sugar, whole eggs, pure vanilla extract, cocoa, crystallized ginger, molasses, cane syrup, and premium nuts and spices.
Our made-from-scratch, cookies not only feature fresh, premium, all-natural ingredients, they're lovingly hand-formed according to secret family recipes perfected over generations.
Grey Ghost Bakery's founder Katherine Frankstone learned the craft of baking alongside her father who always used natural ingredients. "Great recipes and premium, real ingredients are the keys to our freshness and taste," says Katherine who joyfully points out that despite all natural ingredients and a lack of preservatives, the cookies have a surprisingly long shelf life (90-120 days depending on variety).
'Made in America' Finalist!
Each year, Martha Stewart and the editors at Martha Stewart Living honor makers, small-business owners, and creative entrepreneurs in the fields of crafts, design, food, and style. 'Made in America' spotlights the maker, supports the local, and celebrates the handmade. The program is made up of people and communities that have turned their passion for quality craftsmanship and well-designed goods into a way of life.
The team at Grey Ghost Bakery is thrilled to be a 2015 Made in America Finalist and we'd appreciate your vote here!
Lemon Sugar Cookie Trifle
Layer Grey Ghost Bakery Lemon Sugar cookies with whipped cream, lemon curd and strawberries for a bright, summer dessert!
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup full fat Honey Greek yogurt
1 11-ounce jar lemon curd
1. Beat cream and yogurt in a medium bowl until medium peaks form.
2. Place lemon curd in another bowl, and gently fold whipped cream mixture into lemon curd, one third at a time.
2 pounds strawberries (or other berries), hulled and sliced
Juice and zest of one lemon
1/4 cup honey
1 dozen Grey Ghost Bakery Lemon Sugar cookies
1 cup heavy cream
1. Place 1/2 of berries in a bowl. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and honey, and gently mash berries with the back of a fork. Let sit for about 10 minutes. If berries give off a lot of juice, drain off some so that just the mashed berries are left.
2. Spoon a little of the lemon mousse into the bottom of a glass bowl or dish. Top with a layer of the cookies, breaking them to fit evenly in the dish. Top with a spoon of the strawberry mash, and some of the sliced strawberries. Continue layering until you reach top of dish. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or up to overnight.
3. When ready to serve, whip cream until medium peaks form. Spoon whipped cream onto top of trifle, and garnish with strawberry slices and some crushed cookies.